Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Coming Out--a poem


 With the assistance of Walt Whitman, Emily Dickinson, T.S. Eliot, Sylvia Plath, Ana Castillo, William Carlos Williams, Gary Soto, Andrew Marvell, and Langston Hughes


I celebrate myself, and sing myself.
I wish! Actually, I don’t though I know every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
I think instead, I’m nobody, without the comforting how dreary – to be – somebody.
In short, I was afraid. I have always been scared of you and have convinced myself
These are not thoughts great books have withstood time for.
But how should I begin to spit out all the butt-ends of my days and ways that so much depends on?
Do I dare disturb the universe and declare desire?
I want to jog into the next century on the power of a great, silly grin, roll all my strength and all my sweetness up into one ball, and believe they’ll see how beautiful I am and be ashamed –
Because there is that in me – I do not know what it is – but I know it is in me,

Something inherent that resists the insistence that I don’t exist.

1 comment:

  1. Cool poem Judith. The joys of assemblage, or cut and paste, or whatever folks want to call it. It works! And it's fun. Carol

    ReplyDelete